The Prior Test Script

How to use eValid to support regression testing.

The Prior Test Script

Postby xtmk » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:42 pm

My tests for my application ran perfectly a couple of months ago, and eValid worked great in our performance testing. But now they have changed the application all around.

How much of the prior test script do you think will still work? What are the limitations?
xtmk

Re: The Prior Test Script

Postby eValid » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:10 am

xtmk wrote:My tests for my application ran perfectly a couple of months ago, and eValid worked great in our performance testing. But now they have changed the application all around.

How much of the prior test script do you think will still work? What are the limitations?

Without knowing [seeing] the application it is hard to guess how much of a prior test script can carry over to a test for a revised page.

Have you tried it out? Do eValid's built in page change compensation methods, such as Adaptive Playback, have any effect?

Remember, eValid is primarily a regression testing engine, and its goal is to detect when something in an application has changed. So if your old testscript plays back to a FAIL outcome on an update web page or web application, then eValid is correctly doing it's job.

Some suggestions...

(1) See if parts of your test script apply to the new page?

(2) Convert the pattern for the test that exists in the old page into structural tests that apply to the old version of the page AND to the new version of the page?

(3) Re-record a test on the new page and compare the resulting script to the one for the prior page to see if there are any passages (sequences of eValid commands) that match up between the two.

The eValid Team
eValid

Return to Regression Testing

Design Downloaded from free phpBB templates | free website templates | Free Web Buttons